Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Book of Job - second half relfection.

Question 9: How do you react to God's show of strength and power- his boasting, his intimidation, his aggressive behavior- at the end of the story? Is it an appropriate response to Job? What does this show say about God and his relationship to man?
Response: Well, personally, when I started reading God's full-blown speech I couldn't help but sigh to myself. Yes God, you are wonderful and almighty. We get the picture. Personally, if I were Job I would have been equally as upset. Don't get me wrong, Job's pride and certainest of his innocence was almost just as annoying. However, God plagued Job with so much misfortune, and even in the lowest of times Job still believed in him. I don't think Job did anything wrong by questioning God's motives. The least God could have done was saved him the details of his greatness, and explained to him what was going on.
God's response to Job was- well, confusing. First he scolded him in a very loud and righteous manner, and then he gave him everything that he had taken away, doubled. Doesn't that seem odd? Like, a parent yelling at a child for questioning them, and then giving them a cookie. Maybe I don't fully understand God's speech to Job in the end. If anyone wants to comment on it for me and tell me where I'm wrong then that would be terrific.
In relation to man, I personally don't think that I am going too far by saying that God should be the one asking for Job's forgiveness. We're human beings, not toys. Our lives are not meant to be "bet" on. Just because you have the power doesn't mean that it's right to use it.

(Picture credit.)
=]

- Tia Lambert '13

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes powerful figures do tend to over state things, but maybe they have the right to seeing as they are so powerful. Perhaps their right to ranting is based in some age old right that they had gained or been blessed with and there for should have the right to talk as much or as little as the want. Perhaps they are so great in their being that they should just not be questioned at all because none have yet to even come close to the level of greatness they have come to. Perhaps they are just to high above those that would question that the question itself is irrelevant.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you think, however, I think that it is kind of silly to question the Bible by saying that why God did such things. It is like questioning why a sports team coach took out his player of game. He is the one who created the world and he has every rights to determine what to take or to give, (at least christians think that way) to people. This is my opionion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seyeon,
    I see what you are saying, but you have to also understand that for someone who does not have a religion, such as myself, it is silly to think that there is someone out there who can 'take or give' (so to say) in the first place.
    I'm not saying that people who are religious are wrong by any means. All I am saying is that I don't know what I believe. I merely have my opinions.
    =]

    ReplyDelete